Virginia Tech® home

Undergraduate Programs

The Department of Agricultural, Leadership, and Community Education at Virginia Tech is committed to preparing students for success in professions that apply agricultural content to social settings.  We offer a major in Agricultural Sciences (AGSC), a minor in Leadership and Social Change (ILRM), and a minor in  Teaching and Learning in Agriculture (TLAG).

Diverse Career Opportunities

Our Agricultural Sciences students will experience an interdisciplinary program of study designed to address the growing needs of today’s evolving agricultural and food systems.  Students may enroll in one of two options: Teaching and Learning in Agriculture, or Community Leadership and Development.

The Teaching and Learning in Agriculture option is for individuals planning a career related to the education of youth and adults regarding agricultural concepts. The Community Leadership and Development option is for individuals interested in non-formal education and leadership development to improve the sustainability of communities across Virginia and the United States.

For additional information about the Agricultural Sciences degree, contact the department's advising office by calling 540-231-6836 or send email to  Dr. Donna Westfall-Rudd.  To learn more about the Leadership and Social Change minor, contact Dr. Austin Council.

Our Beyond The Classroom programs range from internships, undergraduate research, study abroad opportunities and various student organizations.  


214 Litton-Reaves Hall (0343)
Blacksburg, VA  24061
(540) 231-6836

Ginger B. Dempsey
Academic Programs Coordinator

Donna Westfall-Rudd
Undergraduate Director


Guides & Policies

The Virginia Tech Scholarships

Quick Links

Prospective Students

Students interested in applying for one of our programs should work closely with the University’s Undergraduate Admissions office and the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.

If you are a transfer student, refer to the department’s Transfer Guide.