Ph.D., Agriculture and Life Sciences, Virginia Tech
M.A.T., Agriculture Education, Cornell University
B.S., Communications, Cornell University
A.A.S., Journalism Technology, Morrisville State College
Kirton's Adaption-Innovation (KAI) Certified Practitioner
Dr. Drape's research is focused on biometrics: facial recognition & non-verbal behavior, evaluation, and international agriculture education and training (AET) in interdisciplinary settings. The focus of her work is weaving sound methodology into formal and informal environments domestically and abroad in the context of agriculture.
She is invested in mentoring undergraduate researchers to encourage their interests and guide them through the research process. Undergraduate researchers have investigated a variety of topics including: diversity in agriculture, the economics of university gardens, public perception of antibiotic use in the dairy and beef industries, and Native American participation in higher education.
Dr. Drape is developing her extension and outreach plan in the context of agriculture, leadership, and community education.
- Communicating Agriculture and Life Sciences in Speaking
- Program Planning in Adult, Extension, and Agricultural Education
- Research Applications in Agricultural and Extension Education
- Foundations of Agricultural, Leadership, and Community Education
- Seminar in Growing Agriculture, Education, and Training Domestically and Internationally
Drape, T.A., Rudd, R. (2016). Improving Higher Education in Africa Through Changing Behavior. Presentation at Conference on Higher Education Pedagogy, Blacksburg, VA.
Rudd, R., Drape, T.A., Richter, K., Hammet, T. (2015). Challenges to Higher Education Institutions in Africa.Association for International Agricultural and Extension Education.Wageningen University, The Netherlands.
Drape, T.A., Rudd, R., Lopez, M., Radford, D. (2015). Challenges and Solutions to Higher Education Institutions in Africa. International Journal of Education. Accepted, in press.
Drape, T.A., Lopez, M., Radford, D. (2015). Teacher Efficacy and Professional Development Needs on Mid-Career Agriculture Educators Integrating the Next Gen Science Standards and Other Content Areas. Career and Technical Education Research. Accepted, in press.
Evans, M.A., Won, S., & Drape, T. A., (2014). Interest-Driven Learning of STEM Concepts Among Youth Interacting Through Social Media. International Journal of Social Media and Interactive Learning Environments (IJSMILE), 2(1) 13-20. DOI: 10.1504/IJSMILE.2014.059691
Evans, M., Lopez, M., Maddox, D., Drape, T., & Duke, R. (2014). Interest-Driven Learning Among Middle School Youth in an Out-of-School STEM Studio. Journal of Science Education and Technology, 1-17. doi: 10.1007/s10956-014-9490-z
Newbill, P., Drape, T.A., Schnittka, C., Baum, L., Evans, M.A. (2014). Re-designing for a Studio-Based Integrative STEM Learning Program. Afterschool Matters. Submitted.
Burbaugh, B., Drape, T.A., Westfall-Rudd, D., (2014). The Perceived Importance of Interaction on Student Satisfaction in Online Environments. North American Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture Journal. Submitted.
Drape, T.A., Westfall-Rudd, D., Guthrie, J., Doak, S., Mykerezi, P., (2013). Technology Integration in an Agriculture Associate's Degree Program: A Case Study Guided by Rogers' Diffusion of Innovation. North American Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture Journal, 57 (1) 24-35. http://www.nactateachers.org/attachments/article/2042/7 Drape March 2013.pdf
Creamer, E.G., Drape, T.A., Ghoston, M.R., Ruff, C., Mukuni, J., (2013). Using Popular Media and a Collaborative Approach to Teaching Grounded Theory Research Methods. International Journal of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, 24 (3) 415-420. http://www.isetl.org/ijtlhe/pdf/IJTLHE1383.pdf
Epler, C.M., Drape, T.A., Broyles, T., Rudd, R., (2013). The Influence of Collaborative Reflection and Think-Aloud Protocols on Pre-Service Teachers’ Reflection: A Mixed Methods Approach. Journal of Agriculture Education, 54 (1) pp. 47-59. doi: 10.5032/jae.2013.01047
- 2015 Teacher of the Week, CIDER, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA
- 2014 Outstanding Article, Journal of Agriculture Education, Volume 54
- 2012 Outreach and Service Award, Giles County Public School System, Pembroke, VA
- 2011 Distinguished Research Presentation, American Association for Agricultural Education, Coeur d'Alene, ID
- 2010 Nominee, X-Caliber Award for exceptional, high-caliber contributions to technology-enriched teaching and learning, Virginia Tech
- 2009 Outstanding Research Award, Association of Career and Technical Education Research Conference. Nashville, TN
- 2008 New York Association of Agriculture Educators. Finalist, Outstanding Young Teacher
175 West Campus Drive
276 Litton-Reaves Hall
Blacksburg, Virginia 24061
- Office: 540-231-5560
- Fax: 540-231-3824